This episode of SANDCAST: Beach volleyball with Tri Bourne and Travis Mewhirter, features Chaim Schalk, a 2016 Olympian for Canada who has finally, finally, finally begun playing for the United States.
It's been a long road for Schalk, who had to sit out two years to transfer federations, then one more year for COVID. But beginning with a country quota win over Tri Bourne and Trevor Crabb, Schalk's career alas began again, with the four-star qualifier in Doha.
On this episode with Schalk, we discuss:
- How it felt for Schalk to compete again after such a long time off
- Seeing old friends, and how much the World Tour has changed
- Tri opens up about the country quota loss, and how USA Volleyball made the right decision to make him and Crabb compete
- Whether or not there should be country quotas at all on the FIVB, or if there is enough parity around the world to remove the quotas
- Schalk and Brunner's future as a team, and their ambitions
This episode, as always, is brought to you by Wilson Volleyball, makers of the absolute best balls in the game, hands down. You can get a 20-percent discount using our code, SANDCAST-20!
This episode is also brought to you by CROSSNET, a fun new beach volleyball game, where beach volleyball meets four-square. It's an absolute blast, and is actually a great training tool as well. Use our discount code, SANDCAST, for 20 percent off!